KDE 4.2.4 is officially up for grabs. This would possibly be the last release before the official release of KDE 4.3. This all new version of KDE constitues numerous bugfixes, performance improvements and translation updates. Improvements include bug fixes for Kmail and Konqueror as well. Take a look on how the upgradation to KDE 4.2.4 works in Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope.
Adding Third Party Repository
- You will have to add the following launchpad repository to access this new updated version of KDE 4.2.
- Goto System > Administration > Software Sources and select the Third-Party Software tab. Click ADD. Copy the following repo there.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
Resolving PPA Key Issue
- Do the following to resolve the PPA Key issue. Goto Terminal and do.
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv 2836CB0A8AC93F7A gpg --export --armor 2836CB0A8AC93F7A | sudo apt-key add -
- Now Reload the Synaptic Package Manager.
Upgrading to all new KDE 4.2.4
- All you need to do is, Goto Terminal and do.
sudo apt-get upgrade
- Now to test if it actually worked. Pick any KDE application, say Amarok for example. Goto terminal and do the following
- And result should be something like this. ( Atleast that was the result i got 😉 )
KDE: 4.2.4 (KDE 4.2.4)
Hope it works for you as well. KDE 4.2 is the way to go. Special thanks to all who worked hard for this fast release of much improved KDE 4. Should give it a try. Any suggestions please ask. 🙂